How to break Internet Addiction?
Internet Addiction. No time for her.
No one really thought that one day we will land into this problem of Internet Addiction.
Tweet. Retweet everything.
Download. Download and still downloading.
Skype whole day.
Do you find yourself in a similar situation?
Do feel that the Internet has taken over your life?
Take a break.
While researching on this topic, I got to learn this is called Internet Addiction Disorder
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
“Internet addiction disorder (IAD) is now more commonly called problematic internet use (PIU) or compulsive internet use (CIU).Other overlapping terms include internet overuse, problematic computer use or pathological computer use – and even iDisorder. These terms avoid the word addiction and are not limited to any single cause, but only reflect a general statement about excessive computer use that interferes with daily life.”
The first steps towards breaking this addiction is understanding the causes. The most common causes are:
- Lack of emotional support
Different Types of Computer or Internet Addictions and their effects on our life
- Information overload: Too much online surfing leads to decreased productivity at work and fewer interactions with family members.
- Compulsions: Excessive time spent in online activities such as gaming, trading of stocks, gambling and even auctions often leads to overspending and problems at work.
- Cybers*x addiction: Too much surfing of p*rn sites often affects real-life relationships.
- Cyber-relationship addiction: Excessive use of social networking sites to create relationships rather than spending time with family or friends may destroy real-life relationships.
Physical Symptoms of Online Addiction
- Weight gain or loss
- Disturbances in sleep
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Blurred or strained vision
How can someone get help?
There are organizations like Illinois Institute for Addiction Recovery which provide help to overcome addictions.
Life is meant to be lived, to be enjoyed. So live physically and experience reality. Don’t condemn yourself or restrict yourself to the digital prison. It’s called the “web”. Use it but do not get trapped in the “web”.
- Image courtesy of http://www.interventionsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/internet-addiction-300x200.jpg
- "Computer/Internet Addiction Symptoms, Causes and Effects." Signs and Symptoms of Internet or Computer Addiction. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 July 2014.